Resources for Swallowing Disorders
- www.asha.org – This is the American Speech Language Hearing Association. It has a lot of information for both professionals and the general public. They even have a search engine that assists with finding professionals in your area.
- http://swallowingdisorderfoundation.com/ – This is the National Foundation of Swallowing Disorders. It is for caregivers and parents and offers a variety of resources.
- BCS-S (Board Certified Specialist-Swallowing) is a certification earned by Speech Language Pathologists who have demonstrated advanced knowledge, skill, and experience in treating swallowing disorders. There are approximately 200 specialists in the U.S. who have earned this certification. Visit the American Board of Swallowing and Swallowing Disorders’ website to find a specialist near your home by clicking on the link above. On the menu bar, (under Consumers) click “Find a specialist” and search by a type of affiliate or by your location. If you have trouble contacting any of the providers (i.e., specialists), please do not hesitate to email us at email@example.com so we may attempt to make an appropriate referral.
- The Oley Foundation is a national, independent, non-profit 501(c)(3) organization that provides information and psycho-social support to consumers of home parenteral (IV) and enteral (Tube-fed) nutrition (homePEN), helping them live fuller, richer lives.
- Food Recipes for Safe Swallowing, by Genya Krigman, M.A., CCC-SLP. This e-book is a wonderful resource for individuals learning to adjust to a newly restricted diet due to a swallowing disorder. It offers recipes for all kinds of dysphagia diets and specific, easy to follow instructions. I also know the author personally and can say that her skills with swallowing disorders are remarkable!