One of my favorite vegetables in recent years has been cabbage. Yes, I love it! I like to roast it, shred it, saute’ it, and bake it. Not only is cabbage super healthy for you because it is rich in several vitamins including potassium, Vitamin C, and Vitamin B6 (just to name a few), it also has anti-inflammatory properties, helps aid digestion, and some reports show it helps prevent cancer. This cruciferous vegetable is easy to make and good for you too! Major bonus – it is pretty inexpensive for the amount of food that you get. One medium sized head of cabbage can make 4-6 servings.
In this recipe, the title says it all…simply roasted cabbage. I prefer to use green cabbage in this recipe, but you are welcome to try it with the red/purple variety too. My husband and I like the texture of the green cabbage better – just personal preference. I tried this recipe with Savoy Cabbage once, but the texture was a little different; Savoy is best for slaws and shredded recipes. Anyway, back to the recipe.
You just take your green cabbage, peel off the outer most layer and make sure it has nice crisp green/white ‘leaves’ on the head. Try to avoid wilted leaves and brown patches. Chop it into large sections, several inches in length and size. You do want them to be similar in size, but they can be a little different in shape. I recommend cutting around the bitter root area near the base since that section tends to be less enjoyable for some people.
Lay your chunky pieces onto a cookie sheet, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with dill, black pepper, and then pop it in the oven for about 30 minutes on 400 degrees. It will caramelize on the bottoms and get soft and fabulous on the top sides. It is mild in flavor (in a good way), and it can be a side dish for almost any meal. I find that when cooked this way, it does not have as much of a ‘sulfury’ flavor or smell. This may appeal to kids a bit more – plus it is fun to pick up with your fingers! Next time you go shopping, get some cabbage and make this easy recipe!
- 1 head of green cabbage, medium to large size
- 2-4 Tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 tsp of dried dill
- 1/2 tsp of black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Prepare a large cookie sheet with parchment paper (you can put a layer of foil underneath for catching oil drippings if you want).
- Clean your cabbage by washing and then peel off the outer most layer.
- Chop coarsely into large sections, cutting around the core.
- Spread the large chunky pieces out on your cookie sheet, drizzle with oil and then use your fingers to rub the oil onto the whole piece of cabbage. This makes sure it will cook evenly, without using tons of oil.
- Add your spices and bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Your cabbage will caramelize on the bottoms and the top layers will be soft and juicy. You will be pleasantly surprised at how delicious this recipe is!