Have you tried Hemp? A year or two ago, a friend told me to try Hemp Hearts for added protein and I finally gave in and gave it a whirl. It was not what I expected, probably because I didn’t know what to really expect – taste wise. However, it did give me an idea for a protein rich snack using some hemp protein that is readily available at most natural food markets and grocery stores these days. The result was surprisingly tasty! I created these little chocolate protein balls that were quite filling and yummy at the same time. I even brought them to a party with me a few weeks after creating the recipe and I was happy to get positive feedback from several of the ‘taste testers’.
These little chocolate balls are simple to make, are a no-bake snack, and can help curb those sweet tooth cravings that so many of us get. I know some people are not a fan of hemp’s flavor, but I find that the cocoa powder masks the taste really well in this particular recipe. So if you are in the mood for a chocolatey, protein rich, fast and easy snack, give these a try. FYI, I took pictures of these protein balls before I rolled them in the coconut, so they may look a little different when you make them. You can always mix the coconut into the batter too as another option. It’s all about visual preference – to roll in coconut or not to roll…that would be the question. Let me know what you think.
- 1/2 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup of hemp protein
- 2 Tbsp of olive oil or coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp of agave or honey
- 1/4 tsp of vanilla
- 1/4 cup of shredded coconut
- 1 Tbsp of chia gel (see notes below)
- pinch of salt
- Make yourself a chia egg or what some people call chia gel. Mix 1 Tbsp of chia seeds with 3 Tbsp of warm water. Give it a stir and then let it sit for a few minutes, stirring it occasionally until it starts to thicken. Set aside while you combine the other ingredients.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine the cocoa, hemp protein, oil, agave, vanilla, and salt. Give it a little mix and as soon as your chia gel is ready, add it to your bowl. Now mix well until combined and there are no lumps.
- Using a teaspoon or a mini cookie scoop for uniformity of size, place some dough in your hands and roll the dough into bite sized balls. Set aside on a plate or tray until you are done and no more dough mixture remains.
- Place the shredded coconut in a small bowl and roll each ball in the shreds until they are coated. Place them back on your plate or tray and let them set in the refrigerator for at least 10 minutes. They will be ready to eat after 10 minutes, but you can let them sit longer if you want.
- For storage, place these in a well-sealed container for up to 4 days in the refrigerator or 3 weeks in the freezer. They may keep longer in the freezer, but I have never needed to freeze them for longer than 3 weeks.
- If you want to double this recipe for a party or larger amount, double all of the ingredients except the agave. The level of sweetness is still appropriate for twice as many balls.