Have you noticed how they make pasta out of practically everything these days? I like that the pastas that I used to search for tirelessly, and pay a fortune for several years ago, are now readily available at pretty much every grocery store (and much cheaper too!). My husband and I really enjoy the black bean spaghetti pastas that are made by Explore Cuisine. They are made of organic black beans and water. That’s it, folks. These are packed with protein and an extremely easy way to get the whole family to eat more healthy beans! My favorite part is that they cook in about 6-8 minutes and you can eat them hot or cold, plain or with sauce. These black bean noodles also ‘keep well’ in the refrigerator for a few days, so they make great leftovers.
In this recipe, I added a bunch of pretty vegetables to make it a satisfying and nutrient dense meal. Shredded purple cabbage, shredded carrots, Supergreens, and broccoli. If you want to change some of the veggies, go for it. I liked this blend of vegetables because of the flavors and colors. Eating a rainbow is so much more fun than eating bland and boring colored foods!
For those of you with kiddos, this pasta is often a hit. I have used it in feeding therapy at work as a cold or warm noodle. It is a great way to get more protein and fiber in a child’s diet. They are fun to pick up with little fingers and the texture is appealing to them. With the mild flavor, they would not think ‘bean’ when eating them either. They can be made into shapes, letters of the alphabet, and make a funny mustache! Enjoy…
- 2 servings of black bean spaghetti (the box will tell you how much to make)
- 2 cups of shredded purple cabbage
- 2 cups of shredded carrots
- 2 cups of broccoli florets (I use frozen, defrost them for 3 minutes in microwave)
- 2 cups of Supergreens (any leafy green is fine - spinach, baby kale, etc.)
- 2 Tbsp of olive oil
- 1 tsp of sesame oil (a little goes a long way)
- 1/8 tsp of black pepper
- 1 Tbsp of dried parsley
- 1 tsp of garlic powder or 1 fresh clove, minced
- optional: 1 tsp of sesame seeds
- optional: 1 Tbsp of coconut aminos (tastes like soy sauce)
- Follow the directions on the pasta box to make your pasta. I use a medium sauce pan to cook mine.
- While the pasta is cooking, wash and prep your vegetables. I usually shred my cabbage using a mandolin ( I shred the whole head except the inner core and put it in the fridge for recipes all week long, taking what I need from the bag). I buy shredded carrots at the store because they are tougher to make at home. All the other veggies are ready to go 'as is'.
- Drizzle a frying pan or wok with olive oil and set on a medium flame. Add in your broccoli first, then a minute later add in your cabbage and carrots.
- Add in your spices, oils, and garlic. Stir and let cook for a few minutes until the vegetables start to become wilted and softer in texture.
- After a few minutes, add in your greens; they will cook fast.
- Once your pasta is done, strain it and then add it to your vegetables. Stir and combine all those yummy flavors.
- Serve warm or hot.
- I love these noodles plain, with sauce, hot or cold. Try them lots of ways to see what you like.