Gluten free, dairy free, soy free, egg free, good source of protein and fiber
- 1/3 c of non-gmo canola or coconut oil
- 1/3 c of unsweetened applesauce (organic ideally)
- *¼ c of water if needed for moisture
- ¾ c millet flour
- ¼ c of coconut flour
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp of salt
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 Tbsp of melted, non-dairy butter (I use Earth Balance Coconut Oil butter, but other non-dairy or dairy based butters will work too)
- Put all ingredients in a bowl and combine using a spoon or rubber spatula until well blended. The texture will be thick but wet, possibly clinging to your utensil. You can add the optional water a little at a time until the texture of the batter is moist looking but still ‘thick’, not runny.
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees. Use a baking dish (I use round, but square is fine) and prepare it with non-stick spray or butter of choice.
- **Be aware that they will NOT change shape while baking, so make sure you spread it out evenly in the dish.
- Put in the oven on the middle rack for 15 minutes or until the edges are slightly golden brown.
- This recipe is wonderful by itself, with a spread on top such as jam, non-dairy butter, or even a pesto spread/sauce. I love topping it with vegetables and chicken and enjoying it like a piece of bread. It does not make good sandwich bread though.
Learn to love food again http://learntolovefoodagain.com/